Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Gaybet

Betsizing is an essential skill to have if you want to be a really good player. Once we can read villain range of hands, we can adjust our betsize to maximize value or make it consistent with what we want to represent, so that we can have better results overall. In other instances we can do some of those head explosion tilt inducers gay bets to get extra value from different types of players.

The gaybet, can be use to tilt, frustrate, to induce, to blockbet, to get cheaper showdowns, as a really cheap bluff, for multiple street bluffs (Stacksize is important here) or just for really thin value.

Lets take a couple of hands and see a couple.
First is the gayest of them all, the minbet. In this board and in position villain will bet all better hands on the turn, however by the river its fairly obvious he has nothing and can't call a bet or won't bet himself because I can call with the King or Ace. So the minbet goes to action to induce, and I'm getting extra value from him.

That is a move that I don't use that often, but in some cases vs specific donks can work like a charm.
Other times it can save us money. Either in bluffs (Even if is so small, and get called a lot, we can make it +EV with the price for our bluff) or for thin value. In this case villain was afraid of the King pairing (Even thou its hard for me to have one) and missed value on the river "Lucky me".

This is another example when you know villain bet all better hands on the river, but won't call with his air so even thou, not worst hands call us, we can again make extra money with the gaybet.

Or in big enough pots in relation to the effective stacks like this 4bet pot, to induce monkeyness from two overs, because if he has AK he would hate to fold there and calling feels dirty.

So the good thing about the gay bet is that its nearly impossible to adjust to it. Even if he is really good, his adjustment would be to check/raise for value lighter on rivers, but that way he is letting you cheaper showdowns if you decide to check behind. Plus the tilt value when people hate to fold to those bets or get called light because of it.

Overall is not something you should do all the time, but is good to know when to use it.

4 comments:

Razboynik said...

Good post.
Gay bets can certainly be profitable against the right player.

James P McAteer said...

I am in awe of the 89s hand. I don't know how you felt you were good there. I suppose that illustrates the difference between a good player and err... me.

Would love you to explain your thinking on that hand?

Alex said...

The 89 hand, I floated because I was planning on bluffing and representing the T with all my backdoor draws.

Once he checks the river he doesn't have a T, AA-JJ or monsters, He would never try a check/raise on the river with a strong hand, because I will check behind a lot, so he have to bet. he probably have something like AK-AQ and gave up on his bluff. And my hand looks like what I have.

If I check behind he will see that I made the flop float with air and will gain that information about me cheaply. I have the best hand a lot, and better hands like 99 are just calling, but he is not calling with Ace high if I bet, so I decided to induce with the gaybet knowing that if he raises me I have the best hand.

Malfaire said...

"First is the gayest of them all..."

LMAO. great post alex