Thursday, August 6, 2009

Small value bet

Haven't posted hands in a while so I decided to put some strange ones that I liked. I've always say, betsizing is extremely important when playing, and most people have tons of leaks in that department. Sometimes betting too small, or too big and things like that. I'm usually betting depending on that specific moment, board, flow and player and make my decision on what I feel will get me the more EV.

Sometimes your opponents hand range is so weak that won't call a big bet on the river, but his curiosity might take the best of him if we make a girly bet, or he can even spazzed out and give us more of his money. If he knows you have him beat and still call because of the small betsize he is gonna feel stupid and get down on himself and will be easier to play against.
Lets see a couple of hands:

First hand is pretty simple, I have top pair and probably the best hand, but by the river not many hands can call a big bet. Sure if he has an Ace he may pay me off, but If I can include weaker hands I can get even more value. Of course I was confident that on that board he would have raised me before the river if he had me beat.

Next one I had some reads on him and knew that with all his big hands he will continue to bet the river, so once he checks I know I have the best hand, but maybe he hit a Ten or can spazz out and give me his stack now that the pot is decently big.

In both cases I had my read and was quite sure I had the best hand. Of course checking behind (specially in hand 2) in most cases is better to get more info on his range, but I already had a pretty good idea on how he plays and If I can frustrate him I can take even more advantage from my reads.

Of course when we bet like that a lot of the times we are playing kind of faced up, and most weak players don't know how to react correctly and take a line that doesn't make sense. For example in the next two hands I decided to bet small for value against Ace high type of hands on the river and got raised, but those are really easy calls because when he has me beat he is gonna just call my blocking bet, and it hurts to fold to gaybets so a lot of players just raise in a bad and desperate attempt to steal the pot.

In this hand I'm pretty sure he has Ace high or something like that so when he decides to raise Its hard to put him on a bigger pair after he checks the turn so It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Last hand, again he probably has something like Ace high or a 3 that beats me, so I made the famous ultimate gaymove to make him do something stupid.

To be honest when he minraised me I kind of got scared a little, cause It looks more of a value raise, but he was a shortie so he doesn't have a big brain and I had good odds so I called.
Ship it....

Those where kind of fun, cause they all worked, sometimes I will end up value betting myself, but at the same time Its hard to play against people that are unpredictable and I am confident that I can adjust pretty good.

No comments: