Sunday, February 28, 2010

First BJJ tourney

Well it wasn't really a formal tournament, but it was some kind of meet between all the schools of our professor (3 in total). That was the first time I went to that place, but its close to our new house, so I will eventually start training there after we finish moving.

A lot of people decided not to go to the small event so we where just a few. At the end we did only two divisions, the Lightweights (From 135-180lb) to the Heavyweights (180lb and up). In the lightweight division there where only 6 participants and my first match was with the smallest guy. He was pretty quick and technical, but I was definitely stronger and could control him and finish the match winning by points on the decision.

We where all white belts and I haven't rolled with any of the guys, but I consider myself pretty decent so I was confident I could do something. First place get a T-shirt so I had to bring my A game if I wanted to bring home the cotton piece. In the finals of my division I fought the heaviest guy, but I'm used to fight with people bigger than me so that wasn't an issue. He also looked a little tired after his last match so maybe his gas tank wasn't full yet and I could capitalize later in the round (I was tired too, but I'm in better shape).

He started pulling guard on me, but I manage to pass it and establish side control. After a while of fighting in that position I could get the mount and finally pulled the armbar when he tried to escape and I got the submission win and the T-shirt.

Here is the video:


After that I competed in the Absolute division (all weights), but on the first round I had to face a purple belt and neither one of us could make any points but he won the decision cause he at least tried to submit me from his guard.

No comments: